Pet parents often go to great lengths to ensure the well-being and safety of their furry companions. Even a small mistake can lead to major disasters. A recent incident highlighting the critical aspect of pet care has come to the spotlight. According to a report from the New York Post, Molly, a 10-month-old Bernedoodle puppy, was rushed to the hospital for surgery.
Kerrylee Hempenstall, the owner of the puppy named Molly, shared her distressing experience. She noticed something was amiss when Molly refused to eat and started throwing up last month. After Kerrylee rushed Molly to the vet, doctors at the Primrose Hill Veterinary Hospital found a ‘large bundle of foreign materials’ lodged in her stomach. To Kerrylee’s surprise, it turned out to be multiple socks, as reported by the New York Post.
“We were very shocked, though, to learn it was because she had eaten three socks,” Kerrylee told Southwest News Service as quoted by the New York Post. Even Katie Dwan, the Vet, was shocked to discover this, declaring it one of the most bizarre cases her clinic had seen. “I performed an exploratory laparotomy to identify and retrieve the foreign body blocking Molly’s digestive tract and quickly realized Molly had swallowed three socks,” she explained. She further mentioned that the procedure was ‘tricky’ due to the socks being spread out through her digestive tract.
“This made the surgery slightly more complicated than we originally anticipated, with two procedures required – a gastrotomy and an enterotomy – for the socks to be safely removed,” The Vet told South West News Service. Following the surgery, Molly stayed in the pet hospital’s emergency care unit. She seemed back to her energetic self merely two days post-operation and has since been returned to her family. “She’s now back to her bubbly self,” Hempenstall said.
In a similar incident, one unlucky pooch swallowed 11 rubber ducks, as others sneakily indulged in holiday candies, according to consolidated reports. Veterinarians have previously warned dog owners to beware of having chewing gum around their pets, as just one piece could prove fatal for them.